Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Malwarebytes has failed to replace AVG 7.51 on dial up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Malwarebytes has failed to replace AVG 7.51 on dial up. Reply with quote

I still want to give malwarebtyes a longer trial period, but the trend lines seem to indicate, I will have to fire them, because I am still on dial up. Those of you lucky enough to have broadband options should ignore my comments.

Sadly, AVG antispyware left me, I did not leave them, but when they asked me to ditch my AV, my firewall, my overall security system, they were the ones that got ditched because that choice was easy to make.

And in some ways malwarebytes closely mimics AVG antispyware 7.5 but fails as bloatware in one area.

Even better than AVG anti spyware, passive scans are quick, the interface works well, but it fails me because its daily updates are HUGE. Maybe no big problem if you have fast broadband, but compare AVG 7.5 with more definitions in its data base, that updated basically once or twice per day with downloads than ran from a usual 10 KB, to up to 300 KB.

To malwarebytes where update start at basically 1.4 megabytes and come, 2 to 9 times per day. Even at 3x per day, that is a half an hour out of my internet time per day as a tax for maintaining it.

It might be worth while if it added anything to my overall security system, but after four days, frequent MBAM scans have failed to detect anything missed by my security system.

I somehow suspect malwarebyte updates are hugely redundant. And I can't afford to pay that tax for no benefit.
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regrettably, I don't know of another anti-malware scanner that provides small (incremental) updates. Spybot, A2, SAS, and MBAM all usually run to over a meg.
The AVZ antiviral toolkit uses small updates. (Typically 40Kb).It is a very capable tool, but not for the un-knowledgeable. The link leads to a page in Russian. The download is at the right column, and is 3.55Mb. Oleg now works for Kaspersky, and I think the toolkit is part of KIS.
http://z-oleg.com/secur/avz/download.php
IIRC you are using Avast, which is recognized as an AS since version 4.8. It should stop most of the nasties. It doesn't stop them all, though, and MBAM is likely to be indispensable if you are unfortunate enough to land one of the current trojans that are installing the rogue antiviruses all over the web.
Frankly, what I'd do, is hang onto MBAM, but only update it every day or three. Or if needed. Just because frequent updates are available, doesn't mean you have to have them, especially since your track record seems to indicate clean at every scan.
Also, if you are using Comodo with D+, and answer the prompts correctly, the requirement for an AS scanner/remover should be much reduced.
wyrmrider
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comodo with D+ or Spybot with t-timer
the once weekly Spybot updates on Wednesdays should be no problem If you were not using the paid version of MBAM just update it once a week also
SAS is small but often but again if not using paid version updating before a scan works unless the baddie has broken your download capabilities
hostman or hoster should help
what about windows defender?
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running v1.33 (databese version 1654, fingerprints loaded: 66842) of MBAM (free) and I cannot get it to update. I click "Check for Updates" and it the "Updating MBAM" window just hangs forever. I am 95% sure that my firewall (ESET Smart Security) is set to allow MBAM.

Is everything current? Do free users not get updates? Am I missing something?

- from the film "Stardust Memories"
Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are out of date. Your version is correct, (1.33) but the current database is 1703, fingerprints 69031.
The free version updates no problems at all for the majority.
If yo click in the MBAM GUI on "about", and click on the homepage button, does the browser open correctly to malwarebytes.org?

With version 1.33 one of the changes involved new and perhaps different mirrors for updates. I suspect your security suite is blocking these.

Another possibility, mentioned on the MBAM forum, is that a database update somehow prevented new updates, and this has subsequently been fixed. If addressing the issue via your firewall doesn't work, try downloading and applying an old db from here: http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/database.jsp (It may be a newer db in your case) and then try to update again. Should fix it.
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the browser correctly opens to Malwarebytes.org. I think that I am having a problem with my ESET Smart Security firewall (related thread at Wilders).

Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're Bizadi.
Did you try uninstalling the AV to re-install ESS?
You may have lost your firewall rules. Such a thing sounds likely.
I'd be taking it up with Eset.
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarq57 wrote:
I guess you're Bizadi.
Did you try uninstalling the AV to re-install ESS?

Yep, that's me. I'm working on restoring ESS (fingers crossed).

Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Weedman I have now regained ESS & MBAM is showing database 1704 and fingerprints 69046.

Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eek!. Must update mine! Wink
Well done.
Now all you need to do is figure out how to avoid NOD deciding to "update" you to an application you didn't actually ask for...
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was my bad. I read at Wilders that there was a new version of NOD32 and I stoopidly forgot that I had ESS, which includes NOD. There apparently is some controversy that "...ESET allows you to install EAV over ESS. No warning, nothing. After all the main reason for an AV is to cover human stupidity (in most cases) from getting infected. Where's our cover from stupidity here?" (ref. post & thread).

Tarq57
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I read the thread (up to when you posted here, anyway, not newer replies.). So you didn't update from within your existing GUI but downloaded from the website, is that it?
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. I only learned how to enable "update program components" for NOD32 by reading this post by "mickhardy" in this thread (page 2).

Now that I have been reunited with ESS I have not yet been able to find the setting that will enable "update program components" (version changes) for ESS or NOD32, which seems to be changed fairly regularly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: