Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Mac vs PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Mac vs PC Reply with quote

I'm wondering at the moment why anyone would use a Mac vs a PC. I always thought till recently that Mac's were better than PC's - easier to use, and having a lot less "problems" than Windoze PC's.

However, I was wrong! In the last few months I've had the great misfortune of having to actually use a Mac, and I can honestly say PCs are greatly superior to Macs.

I've encoutered just as many problems with Macs as I have with Windoze based machines. As for being easier to use, well the amount of issues I've seen with trying to install Windows on Mac to give but just one example, proves this to be nothing more than Apple's marketing BS. Yes - Mac's come with Boot Camp which let's you install and run Windows on a Mac. And indeed it sounds good in theory, but in reality it's not quite as straightforward as it should be. Hmm, let's see you can't install XP Service Pack 3 unless you manually edit the registry with RegEdit. Not quite so easy to use now. Of course I could of just stuck with Windoze with Service Pack 1 which is the Windows I installed - but of course, just like everything with a Mac (or so it seems) it's not that simple. To run the install program which comes with a Mac for Windows, which installs all the needed drivers for Windows XP you need to have at least Service Pack 1 instlalled!

Aparently even with the latest setup from Apple (since the XP software which comes with a Mac is more than a year old), Apple state that it does not support Service Pack 3 for XP! This is rather bizarre since, every other Windows program does! Of course there is other software for running Windoze on a Mac, however I gave up on Parallels after Windows refused to install.

Well I could go on for hours talking about how bad Mac's are, but as someone who has been using computers for 25 years, and finds Macs complicated to use, I fail to see how an average computer user could find Macs easy to use. Maybe it's just all about Apple's "image" and thier clever marketing. I don't know, but let me assure you I have no bias at all towards PC's and in fact I intensely dislike Bill Gates, and wish that there was a lot more alternatives to Windoze, however if I had to choose between using Windoze which I don't like, and OS X (Mac) I would choose Windoze without a doubt.
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using something like Ubuntu?

~ Shakespeare Julius Caesar
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I prefer Windoze to Ubuntu. My sister recently bought a Mac and I have spent may hours trying to get everytihng up and running for her.
Daveski17
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of learning linux as I find that the price of Windows is getting a bit prohibitive. We pay nearly 200 for Vista HP in the UK & if you want Office you have to pay an extra 100 or so on top of that. Even if you only want 'Word' it will be another 50 quid on top of the price of the computer & software. I can buy a computer without an OS for under 200 & load Ubuntu & get online. It will have Opera & Firefox inter alia & include Open Office.org which I use a lot. It is a question of economics.

~ Shakespeare Julius Caesar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Talk About It All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: