Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Vista users, are you happy you upgraded from XP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlot_1
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Vista users, are you happy you upgraded from XP? Reply with quote

Confused I have mixed feelings. I have listed the Pros and the Cons. Pros: (1)It's pretty. Cons: (1)It takes THREE times as long to shut down and startup. (2)It always asks you,"If you started this program, continue" WHY??? (3) It takes THREE time as long to empty the recycle bin.(4) It takes three times as long to rename a file, folder, or program icon.(5) It recommends Windows One Care for your security..what a joke! (6) Most my favorite programs still won't work. (7) It won't let me delete certain items, says I need Administrative privliges..I AM the administrator! (Cool Browsers and programs quit working for no apparent reason, but "Windows will hunt for a solution to the problem" ,which it never finds. (9) The disk defragmentor sucks! And (10) It is one huge resourse hog that will slow an average pc to a crawl! Evil or Very Mad I have reformatted and am back to XP Pro! The Vista disk makes a nice coaster for my wine glass.
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you didn't install it correctly. You should follow this video for an easy installation. You should not have any trouble afterwards.
merlot_1
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Apparently you didn't install it correctly. You should follow this video for an easy installation. You should not have any trouble afterwards.
Very Happy Shame on you Toilet monster LOL and I thought this was serious Laughing
goldengreek
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I should have waited until they got their first service pack. Oh, Well...
thehabsonice
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vista, and I can tell you guys that I am entierly happy with it! I have found nohing wrong with it! And it isn't slow at startup and when you turn it off! I guyss it kind of depends on our processor!
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehabsonice wrote:
I have vista, and I can tell you guys that I am entierly happy with it! I have found nohing wrong with it! And it isn't slow at startup and when you turn it off! I guyss it kind of depends on our processor!
How fast is fast? were you running Windows 95 before you went to Vista, LOL? Merlot_1 is right. It is slower than XP in EVERY feature it has
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Microsoft JUST DOESN'T LISTEN!!! Reply with quote

Microsoft just doesn't listen anymore.

I went from a Macintosh computer (remember back in 1993, the Macintosh computers that came out before the famous/infamous "PowerMac"? i was using THOSE!!!) to a WINDOWS computer. Windows 3.1, to be exact.

The transition was easy: back then, both operating-systems were just "a bunch of icons, on a desktop". That was pretty much it. But that SECOND MOUSE-BUTTON? EXTREMELY HANDY. MACINTOSH IS STILL using ONE-BUTTON MICE!!! HELLOOOOOOOO? UPDATE YOURSELVES!!!!

no more "having to go to the top of the computer-screen every single time i want to copy-paste or cut-paste something, or save a document", or something of that nature". not to mention that the keyboard-shortcuts on Windows are easier to remember than their counterparts on a Mac. Apple even later had to come up with their so-called "Dock" thingy, because of Windows's "Start Menu, Start Button, and Taskbar" success! i had to use a E-Mac with MAC-OS-X "Panther" on it in my Senior year of high school for a video-journalism class I had, and I couldn't make heads or tails of how to use that darn OS!!! The Mac programs now even have a little red button on the upper-right-hand corner of the program's window, supposedly to CLOSE the program, but the darn program IS STILL OPEN (because you can see it on the "Dock"!!! apparently you have to "click and hold" on the icon in the "Dock" and eventually a popup-window will come up and you close it from there. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. heck even AFTER i did that, i didn't know for sure if the program was closed or not!!!!).

Inventing the "Taskbar", "Start button", and "Start menu", as well as the " 'X' to close programs" starting with Windows-95, a really AWESOME invention!!! and the ability to see ALL your programs, and create new "Program"-folders simply by right-clicking on the "Start" button and clicking on "Open"?, outstanding (not to mention that you can navigate to your "Start"-menu by going to "C:/WINDOWS/START MENU".

Windows blew it some what when in XP you just couldn't see LITERALLY ALL of the programs installed on your computer, in the "Programs" folder anymore, and they pretty much eliminated the way how you could create new "Program"-folders for yourself and keep your "Programs"-list more organized and tidy, not to mention it also really bites that nowadays you can't even navigate to the "Start"-menu like you used to (how I just described) in previous versions of Windows.

But where Microsoft REALLY kicked the can, was with VISTA!!! replacing a user-friendly way to navigate your programs, with a darn "instant search" thingy? HELLO? NEWS FLASH: THAT THING IS NO GOOD IF YOU ARE USING A COMPUTER THAT IS NOT YOUR OWN (ie. borrowing a friend's computer, for example, or, working with a couple of friends on one of your friend's computers, for a school project assignment), AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PROGRAMS THE COMPUTER HAS INSTALLED. DUH. MICROSOFT, USE YOUR HEAD AND COMMON-SENSE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

i mean seriously: even WHEN "instant search" IS handy, i've been reading that the "search" bar in the "Start"-menu gives you DIFFERENT results than the one you use for "My Computer", or even than the one you use for "Windows Explorer", so really, WHAT'S THE DEAL???

ELIMINATE THAT THING. GO BACK TO THE FRIENDLY INTERFACE WE'VE BEEN KNOWING AND LIKING SINCE WINDOWS-95, AND STOP CHANGING SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKEN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been right clicking on Macs for a long time. Use command instead of control and all the Windows keyboard shortcuts are the same. Alot has changed since you've last used them.
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Been right clicking on Macs for a long time. Use command instead of control and all the Windows keyboard shortcuts are the same. Alot has changed since you've last used them.

about that: would you say that Macs are now BETTER than when i last used them?

or not really?

(one program that i believe will NEVER get old, and i will NEVER tire of using, is Macintosh's popular game "Oregon Trail" Very Happy ). the other thing is, I LEARNED "PROPER KEYBOARDING SKILLS" USING the program 'MAVIS-BEACON-TEACHES-TYPING' ON A MAC!!! (our computer-teacher also just happened to have a PhD in Computer Engineering and Systems Engineering)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krahk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I scrapped Vista after a very short time, do I count as a Vista user? And it's not only the interface etc., it's also the games - nothing is compatible with that thing. Therefore, Vista is ignored and I upgraded to XP.
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had vista ultimate installed for all of 6 hours just putting it through its paces.
installed xphome upgrade and never looked back.
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
Fledermaus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with it at home, but I'm refusing to support it at work. So very slow. It takes 4 seconds to render the control panel on a dual core 2.4 GHz machine with 4 gigs of RAM (with Aero turned off).

For some comedy try to delete/rearrange files within a zip folder; I had a zip with 300 files in it, and deleted 100. The "calculating" dialog comes up and tells me it'll take 6 hours and 45 minutes. 20 minutes later it tells me it'll take 6 hours and 25 minutes. Total size of the zip folder? 330 meg. This is with indexing turned off, upgraded intel controller software, and writeback caching.

On the one hand I'm glad they finally solved their calculation algorithm for timing of file operations. On the other, I'm not too happy that they did it by making the whole thing as slow as mud.
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: "are you happy you upgraded from xp?" HELL NO Reply with quote

HELL NO i haven't upgraded from XP. my laptop's a Pentium 4 with 2.8GHz, 2GB of RAM, and a 250GB hard-drive. it can't HANDLE Vista, let alone Windows 7.

i even have THIS on my laptop: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/stickers/5b43/action/212fa52/ (i wish Bill Gates and/or all of Microsoft would see it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: