Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

MP4 conversion to MP3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YUGWEN
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: MP4 conversion to MP3 Reply with quote

I just started buying music from iTunes and found out that it comes in MP4 format instead of MP3. Is there a software tool that can make these MP4s into top quality MP3s? I want all my music in the same format and to be able to use my new music on MP3 CDs. I am assuming that this is legal to do since I bought the music and I am only using it for me and not spreading it out to the whole wide wolrd... Are there any legit online music stores that sell songs in MP3 format to start out with? That would sure be a lot easier and nicer for me... Rolling Eyes

Thanks in advance...
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can burn your iTunes music to CD's and then turn around and rip the CD's to any format you want. That's what I do. I don't know of a tool to directly convert them, although I suspect there is something that could do so.

I burn my iTunes songs to a CD, then rip that CD to my hard drive have the songs in normal MP3 format, and then load them on my Creative MP3 player. Takes a little longer, but it works. Cool

I use this software. It's not free, but worth the price IMO.

http://www.poikosoft.com/
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend recommended this to me just last week for converting music and video formats. Haven't tried it yet but it's a freebie:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Assuming it works ok it must beat burning and ripping CD's. Smile
hornet777
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm, aBenG... I have several problems with Super, and would never recommend it to anyone.

Firstly, the executables are encrypted and compressed; it runs lousy, and crashes a lot; it is ripped-off from open-source software and modified (who knows how?) without acknowledging the sources/creators at all; it writes several files to the %windows% folder, which when deleted and the programme is rerun, rewites these files.

Yes, all its components scan ok for virii, but that would be expected when the executables are encrypted, since the scanner would have no way of decrypting them: typically scanners only decompress executables. And, yes nothing bad happened on my system, that I know of, BUT there are just too many iffy things about this programme, and I actually recommend that people avoid it, just in case. I just wish I had the tools to nail this down in a more precise way, but I am deeply suspicious of this programme.

As for the original question, there is faad and faac, both console apps that will convert an mp4 encoded sound file to wav format, and lame, to reconvert it back to mp3 (after edits, if one wishes in one's favorite editor). Please keep in mind that these conversions are NOT lossless, and degradation will take place. MP4 compression is fundamentally different from mp3 as well, and one will expect larger file sizes for a given bandwidth.
aBenG
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning there hornet777. Converting the formats of a few files is a long way down my 'to do' list so I haven't got around to trying Super - perhaps now I won't!
hornet777
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcoding in itself is a huge issue in using computers that isn't adequately addressed in terms of the sheer complexity and ease of use, but one thing is certain: if one is interested in quality, its definitely worthwhile investing the time to research the tools available. In that vein, the only ones that keep this criterion in mind are typically console apps, so its an additional complication for the "point & klikers" who have perhaps never seen a command prompt before.
ld
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornet777 wrote:
erm, aBenG... I have several problems with Super, and would never recommend it to anyone.

Firstly, the executables are encrypted and compressed; it runs lousy, and crashes a lot; it is ripped-off from open-source software and modified (who knows how?) without acknowledging the sources/creators at all; it writes several files to the %windows% folder, which when deleted and the programme is rerun, rewites these files.

You got my interest so I downloaded super to my test machine. I never got past the installer because my test machine has 96 megs of RAM and it requires 128. I am sure I can bypass it and get it to install but I don't have the time tonight. What I did find is the installer is packed with UPX. UPX is an open source compressor and does not use encryption. You can also download the free and open source UPX program and uncompress the file. Why would they UPX compress this file? Probably to save bandwidth.
How do you know or why do you suspect they stole code from an open source project and which project? I'm not doubting you, I'm just looking for details. If you have any links to other discussions on this software I would be interested.

Quote:

Yes, all its components scan ok for virii, but that would be expected when the executables are encrypted, since the scanner would have no way of decrypting them: typically scanners only decompress executables. And, yes nothing bad happened on my system, that I know of, BUT there are just too many iffy things about this programme, and I actually recommend that people avoid it, just in case. I just wish I had the tools to nail this down in a more precise way, but I am deeply suspicious of this programme.

The fact that is scans ok for viruses means that the antivirus programs you scanned it with do not detect it. Virus writers have gone to great lengths to write encrypted and mutating viruses to evade detection but to date the antivirus companies have kept up. Often times when packing and encryption is used the antivirus software just uses emulation to examine the code. This allows the virus to unpack itself so the software can analyze it but yet it isn't executed so it can't do harm. This is much easier for them then trying to include every packing and encryption/decryption algorithm in their engine.

As of now I have no opinion on whether this software is safe or not. In the coming days I will try to force the install and examine some of the components.
hornet777
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I said nothing about the installer, per se... only the executables that are installed.

there are parenthetical references to the fact that this is supposed to be a gui front-end for ffmpeg on enrightsoft's page, and indeed ffmpeg.exe can be found in the install directory, but it bears no resemblance to the ffmpeg(s) that are otherwise available from sourceforge or doom9. This in addition to the fact that so many other files are installed in other places (x264.exe?) and when they are deleted, when the programme is once again run, they magically reappear. Of course, this is normal for many programmes, but to have it be an extension of the programme is not (that is, files in the %temp% dir are usually cleaned up).

What makes me suspicious is not compression per se, but that the executables have to be encrypted (why???); that the source code was modified in violation of GPL (no acknowledgement/sharing); the many auxilliary files, when all the codecs ffmpeg needs are already in the executable; several files/folders that appear in the %temp% dir; the fact that it crashes about 70-80% of the time... and probably several others I cannot recall just now (its been a while since I tested/used it).

Yes, I hold out the possibility that its just a poorly-coded piece of crap that is not malicious, but there's just this nagging doubt. If you or anyone else can clear it up, so much the better!!

I guess the point overall I'm making is that transcoding worth doing, but not with this programme.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Talk About It All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: