Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Best Anti-ADware Programs (Free or Not!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphaa10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Best Anti-ADware Programs (Free or Not!) Reply with quote

None of the major AV or AntiSpyware publishers wants to deal with ADware as a principal focus. True, stopping ADware doesn't generate the pulsepounding dread of the discovery you've an Alien on board, but ADware does wear you down, day after day.

Even staid Netscape 7.2 was coded to serve in a limited way as a billboard for ads-- that is how AOL pays for stuff. The Netscape adbase never has been obtrusive, but at some point, we users have to take back control of our desktops.

Does anyone have a short list of the best ADware-killing programs? I know about the PCWorld article, and presumably PCMagazine has done something within the last decade. But I would like to hear from you, based on your good (and bad) experience with antiADware utilities.
Franklin
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Best free app Reply with quote

If you used virtualistion security to run your browser through you wouldn't have to worry .

Signature based security is not that good.In fact I don't run any of them realtime and only use E-trust vet AV and Ewido as on demand scanners.

Sandboxie,Defensewall,Bufferzone,Geswall and VMware are just a few you could look into.

I have tried a few of them with Sandboxie, (my favourite) being the easiest to use and I would say Defensewall the most secure.

No signatures or engines to update = no worries!
trickyricky
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the original poster is after a way of stopping the adverts from appearing at all rather than preventing adware from being installed on the PC? In which case the sandbox approach isn't appropriate since it does nothing to prevent advertising appearing in the first place.

I seldom see intrusive ads, yet I use nothing sophisticated. I use the Firefox browser with the adblock and adblock-filterset-g--updater extensions, in conjunction with the simple Spybot S&D hosts file. The Spybot hosts file is by no means an aggressive list and there are far more wide-ranging host files out there with the intention of blocking ALL adverts. I also have IE-Spyad (Zoned Out version) installed, plus Spywareblaster.

That, plus a good dose of common sense whilst at the controls leaves me well protected and I seldom see advertising of any description other than the occasional Flash layer ad on the occasional web site - disabling Flash will knock those on the head no problem.
Franklin
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickyricky wrote:
Surely the original poster is after a way of stopping the adverts from appearing at all rather than preventing adware from being installed on the PC? In which case the sandbox approach isn't appropriate since it does nothing to prevent advertising appearing in the first place.

Maybe so,but emptying the sandbox stops any and all ads appearing in the second instance.Such as at bootup and opening your browser.

And yep,I still use Spywareblaster and MVPS hosts file along with FF.
Mrkvonic
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Spybot immunization and SpywareBlaster will give you some rest from adware.
You could also try PeerGuardian2, which works not only with P2P, but also has a list of spyware sites to block and reject.
For Firefox, go with Adblock (Plus) extension to remove ads. Very convenient.
You could also try Proxomitron web filter, which is probably the best privacy tool out there - reinforced with Kye-U filters. Proxomitron will remove ads AND a variety of exploits, as well.
Finally, you have the hosts file option, if you like.
Mrk
physics223

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another post of mine:

Quote:

I mean, there is no "best" rootkit removers around. No one application (even the famed 'Blacklight') could remove Hacker Defender. However, that is why I advocate prevention.

First is to obtain a robust, useful, and powerful protective browser. You know what browser this is: Mozilla Firefox. After doing so, download its most useful and protective extensions, which are NoScript - which does not allow any insidious JavaScript - thus, no drive-by-downloads, and then, also download AdBlock - which allows you to block a whole lot of ads (pictures or flash), and still let you smoothly surf the internet.

For IE, download IE-SPYAD by E. Howes - which is an additional protection if ever your system was hacked in already. I have to do this later - my system is still relatively new. This is still important even if you do not use IE because unscrupulous hackers may use IE to propagate their trash. With IE-SPYAD, this is prevented.

Also disable cookies in your browser, or if unavoidable, set it to expire at the end of the session (when you close FF.)

Second, download WinPatrol. You may upgrade this to Plus if you want to, but this helps by checking the system processes running - and it also allows you to terminate processes you don't need or want hanging around using up RAM.

Third, download a robust firewall. I use Sygate, but a lot also prefer Agnitum and Kerio. Sygate is free for personal use, but it was recently assimilated by Norton, so I don't know what will happen next.

Fourth, an antivirus. AntiVir, AVG, Norton, (I don't recommend this, though) F-Prot (F-Secure). You know what this does and how important this is.

Fifth, a great AntiSpyware application - Ad-aware and Spybot. By getting here you know what I mean.

Sixth, ProcessGuard (retail) or AntiHook (free) - disables any drivers from installing WITHOUT your permission and asks for your permission for all programs running. Disallows any hooks from enabling, giving you additional protection.

* You know how important HJT is. Smile *

Seventh, download DCOMbobulator. Search for it on google - it prevents any unnecessary DCOM ports from opening.

Eighth, download the 'rootkit' removers that are trusted.
By this stage, I think HxDef can hardly penetrate without you spotting something wrong. Microsoft Malware Removal Tool, F-Secure's Blacklight, Sysinternals Rootkit Detector ...

I still advocate prevention is better than cure. If before infection you have done the previous seven, I doubt that the eighth process will show anything wrong.

Cheers!
Michael
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
None of the major AV or AntiSpyware publishers wants to deal with ADware as a principal focus

I am not sure that I totally agree with this. Most that I am familiar with target the more agressive, potentially uninvited, adware purveyors as well as the myriad adware toolbars/search hijackers.
Moore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I set my self free from ads.. Wink

Bluetack Hosts file , Greenbrowser/MyIE with custom ad/popup filter , Blockpost with the Bluetack anti-spyware and ad-trackers lists loaded.

Not many things get through , what does just gets added to the lists. Razz

Many decent browser alternatives for IE now have ad/popup blocking filters , though I think the Hosts file is the best free way to block 99% of ads from being able to connect to your pc.. hosts file guide -> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=3089

Greenbrowser/MyIE have page download controls to let you quickly disable things like active-x, flash , popups , flying ads and normal ads etc and you can customise , save - export your filters to share with others.

Outpost firewalll has built in active page content filtering , adblocking / word filtering plugins which work ok , also you can import Erics IE-Spyad filters.

Admuncher + Ghostsurf have also worked well together for me in clearing out the ads.

For stopping any malicious installations Processguard + System Safety Monitor are what I depend on.
kjose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try the Microsoft antispyware from their website. Personally I've used it and it did a decent job. And it's also free! ( as long as you have a legit XP key). If you're willing to pay for a so called profesional spyware remover, you can always try the one in my signature. It's not too bad. I got my boss to buy it , and I recommand it.

Overall, I'll go for the microsoft free one. I've never test an antispyware that is 100% effective.
fcukdat
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjose wrote:
If you're willing to pay for a so called profesional spyware remover, you can always try the one in my signature. It's not too bad. I got my boss to buy it , and I recommand it.

Absolutely no offence ment but i would strongly disagree with your thinking there.

Noadware is probaly one of the most mediocre legitimate paid for botkillers around Exclamation

I love the affiliate click through link BTW Embarassed

hXXp://www.noadware.net/?hop=kjose

*link broken

Idea

Why don't you try making your money as an affiliate of a quality software(s) that benefits the end user instead of trying to profit from peddling mediocre software that pay higher commisions to shift there wares Evil or Very Mad

readers beware of wolves masquerading in Rolling Eyes sheep's clothing

MIRT Handler >>>
http://www.castlecops.com/c55-MIRT.html
Oldfrog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the goal is to prevent ads from showing while you are browsing, which means ads served from the sites that you are visiting, then forget about all the scanners and such. I see basically four options:
    - Block from the browser
    - Block in the hosts file
    - Block in the firewall
    - Add a dedicated ad killer

In the browser area I like the Adblock extension for Firefox although it will not prevent you from seeing the ad the very first time that it is served. Hosts file blocking is very effective as you can add in the hosting domains and immediately block all adds coming from that source. I have just started using the Sunbelt/Kerio firewall and the ad blocker seems so far to be very effective. The last option would be my least favorite as it would add yet another running process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: